Some Light Music

Friday, April 16, 2010

What is Steampunk? I.E. minutes from the last reading

So, there's a bit of confusion on what "steampunk" is. I'd recommend taking a look at the wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk). There's also quite a number of movies you could take a look into to glimpse at the subject, but for me I feel steampunk is more a genre that should be read not seen, so if you can find any steampunk short stories or novels and would prefer to read those instead of watching a show, please do.

As far as being the playwright goes, I had a number of questions now that I have had time to take a step back and look at things from the outside.
I think, first and foremost, I want to know if the characters seem believable from their words. I haven't really explored their backgrounds much (hence my being completely confused when asked for Etienne's age, because i'd never even considered it) though I have put in a few things, such as their careers (current and former) and Sturgeon and Langsley's age. I'd also like to know if the relationships between the characters are, if not obvious, at least hinted at so there's a sense of some kind of connection, that these aren't just perfect strangers hanging around in someone's home.
What do people think regarding Ironclad?
Still figuring this blog out.
-Mike

1 comment:

  1. Upon rereading it after the cold reading and discussion, I noticed a few things about Sturgeon. Some of the questions I have about his lines and character:

    Pg. 3 - When Sturgeon says "I am but a gentleman", I wonder if it wouldn't be more of his character to 'fire back' a playful insult instead of retreating and defending himself. He seems more the offensive type (pun slightly intended)

    also, pg. 3 - next block of dialogue - I found the lines read much smoother when read this way: "They promised (that) anyone who could cause even the slightest deterioration in the fabric would be invited onboard the maiden journey of the zeppelin". Let me know what you think.

    pg. 4 - Upon Sturgeon's exit, would a farewell such as "Good day to you" or a 'funny' farewell, such as a jab at Langsley, be appropriate?

    pg. 17 - When he notices Claude, is he confused or surprised? It would seem surprised...

    pg. 18 - I found omitting the two 'go' in the sentence "Claude, would you go get him, or at least go see what's taking him so long?" sounded more proper. But I'm unsure if that was your intention.

    pg. 31 - What we do know, however, is that we know nothing - This is a Socratic "belief - is that his idol? Does he mean to refer to him? Does Langsley pick up on it or should he be shown picking up on it?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.